|Old Georgian Club
The Club has come a long way since the day the Headmaster of St. George’s college Canon Joseph t. Stevenson, and sixteen Old Georgians dined at the College, where the foundation of a club was decided. The date was April 28th 1908.
|Old Georgian club
Onehundred years of various hard working committees and support by its members have kept the Old Georgian Club in good standing, sports-wise and as a pillar of the British community.
Old Georgians volunteered for the world wars – many did not return.
The Club entered the River Plate rugby union championship in 1935 and won it in 1937, 1938 and 1939, as rugby became more popular the shortage of Old G. players made it impossible to continue competing and in 1978 the club withdrew from the U.A.R.. Efforts were made in 1995 to resume playing however this revival was short and ended in 1997.
In the business world many Old Georgians have figured prominently, becoming top executives, and others have represented Argentina in the sports fields.
The Club has grown in number from the original sixteen to one thousand fourhundred members all over the globe.
The Old Georgian Club is a non profit institution with its headquarters in the City of Buenos Aires and its objects are:
- to foster and maintain interest in the College, and friendly relations and associations among Old Georgians
- the furtherance of the interests and prosperity of St. George’s College and its past and present members.
- the organization of social, cultural, sporting and/or other activities for members of the Club and guests.
- to supply each member with a copy of "The Georgian" 0fficial publication of the College.
The Club has suitable premises for use by its members and guests, some of them require booking beforehand. The facilities available include a bar, table for playing cards and back gammon, pool and squash and a small gymnasium likewise space for social reunions, business meetings (wifi ) and cultural events are also available.
Other events organized by the club are : regatta, football, tennis, squash and golf tournaments, monthly pub night and monthly dinner from May through December. The Annual Dinner which is attended by a vast number of diners is held yearly in the month of April to commemorate St. George’s day.
The Annual General Meeting is held also in the month of April.
Representants over the world help to maintain the spirit for which the club was founded.
Thirty three gentlemen have been Presidents of the Club the actual being Mr. G. John Lucas.
Floreat domus – May the house flourish